I moved to Buenos Aires in September 2010 to continue my work on a major writing project I began in early 2008. It’s a project that uses scholarship from history, political science, and memory studies as a frame through which to analyze the behavior of Argentina’s principal Jewish political institution, the Delegación de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas, during and after the country’s last dictatorship. With the generous support of a Hauser Human Rights Research Fellowship from the Harvard University Committee on Human Rights Studies, I spent 2009-10 preparing conference papers and a pair of articles on the topic. (One of these articles was published in the International Journal of Transitional Justice’s November 2011 issue, the other will appear in an edited Spanish-language volume published by Ceraunia and the Universidad Nacional de La Plata in 2013.) I’m shortly to return to the US to study toward a doctorate in Latin American history, starting in (northern) fall 2013.
In the meantime, I work as a freelance writer based in Buenos Aires. I cover BA’s cultural scene for Juanele AR, a bilingual online arts magazine, and I am a contributor to several travel websites, including USA Today Travel Tips and JSpace.com. Among other outlets, I’ve also written for Salon.com, the Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz, the Let’s Go series of travel guides, the Fogg Art Museum’s forthcoming American art collections catalog, and Harvard’s student newspaper, the Crimson. In addition, I have written web copy for a variety of clients, including D-Link and Bridge-Linguatec. I am eager to consider any and all new assignments, especially those related to international travel and Argentine and US art, culture, and politics. Please contact me by leaving a comment on this page or by email: paul [dot] ryan [dot] katz [at] gmail [dot] com.
- “A New ‘Normal’: Political Complicity, Exclusionary Violence and the Delegation of Argentine Jewish Associations during the Argentine Dirty War,” International Journal of Transitional Justice, November 2011
- “Argentina’s President Irks U.S. Pundits,” Salon.com.
- Work I’ve published with Juanele
- Two articles from Ha’aretz’s Jewish World Section (check out the astoundingly virulent comments at the bottom of the first one!)
- My profile and blog on Let’s Go’s website
- Pieces published in the Harvard crimson
- A sample from the USA Today Travel Tips website
- My Hauser Fellowship profile